Texas Beef producers
Beef Cattle Terms
- Bovine – A ruminant mammal of the genus Bos which includes cattle.
- Bull – A male capable of reproduction.
- Cow – adult female which has produced a calf.
- Calf – teenage female or male significantly less than one year old.
- Steer – Male that is castrated before readiness, especially raised for meat.
- Heifer – teenage female over 12 months old which includes not had a calf.
Global there are many more than 250 kinds of cattle. Over 60 of the types exist in the us. But a comparatively few breeds (under 20) are utilized for commercial meat manufacturing. Some of these types tend to be:
- Angus - Imported from Scotland in 1873
- Beefmaster – Developed early 1930s in U.S. (Brahman-Hereford-Shorthorn cross)
- Brahman – brought in from India in 1854
- Charolais – brought in from France in 1936
- Brangus – Developed 1932 in U.S. (Angus-Brahman mix)
- Hereford – Imported from England in 1817
Beef Cattle Manufacturing
Every year, over 5 million calves are born on over 130, 000 cow-calf functions in Texas.
The almost 1 million beef cattle operations in america produce over 24 billion pounds of meat which produces about $80 billion in retail beef product sales.
Top Counties – All Beef Cows (5 yr. average)
- Lavaca – 80, 800
- Gonzales – 79, 800
- Fayette – 76, 000
- DeWitt – 66, 000
- Leon – 65, 000
- Houston – 65, 000
- Milam – 61, 000
- Robertson – 58, 600
- Limestone – 58, 200
- Brazoria – 57, 600
Tx Total – 5, 461, 000
Top States – All Cattle and Calves (5 year. average)
- Tx – 13.86 million
- Kansas – 6.57 million
- Nebraska – 6.35 million
- California – 5.31 million
- Oklahoma – 5.30 million
U.S. Complete – 96.05 million
Beef Cattle Manufacturing Systems
- Cow-calf- Ranchers create the cattle for stocker marketplace or feedlot (commercial operations) or any other reproduction herds (purebred businesses).
- Feedlot – Raises calves until they weigh 900 to at least one, 400 pounds and marketplace them to packer businesses.
- Stocker – Ranchers graze weaned calves until they weigh as much as 900 pounds, and then market them into the feedlots.
Handling Misconceptions of Beef Production
Myth: meat production utilizes extravagant quantities of liquid, feed and land that needs to be employed for something different.
Reality: it can take 2.6 weight of grain and 435 gallons* of liquid to produce a pound of beef inside U.S. 85percent of the country's grazing lands aren't ideal for farming. Cattle eat forages that people cannot digest and convert them into a nutrient-dense food.
*Considers all facets including direct usage, irrigation of pastures and plants, and carcass processing.
Beef cattle manufacturing represents the greatest solitary section of farming.
Usa Agriculture Money Receipts (Top 5 Commodities)
|Cattle and Calves||$49.1 billion|
|Milk Products||$23.4 billion|
GRAPHIC FOR UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AG CASH RECEIPTS GOES HERE
Tx Agriculture Money Receipts (Top 5 Commodities)
|Cotton Fiber||$1.9 billion|
GRAPHIC FOR TX AG CASH RECEIPTS GOES HERE
Increased efficiency is the primary contributor to growth in U.S. agriculture.
- Beef manufacturing per cow has increased from about 400 pounds in the mid-1960s to practically 600 pounds today.
- This means more business opportunities when it comes to manufacturers and cost preserving for customers.
The meat Americans love is leaner than previously and healthy for you too!
Beef provides three important nourishment:
- Protein – develops, keeps and repairs body tissues
- Iron – assists red blood cells carry air to body cells and areas
- Zinc – for development and maintaining the defense mechanisms
Beef in addition provides B-vitamins which promote healthier skin, a healthy and balanced neurological system, and it is essential for metabolism and digestion. One 3-ounce serving of slim beef provides 50percent associated with the day-to-day value of our significance of protein and simply 6.4 grms of fat normally.
You will find at this time 29 cuts of meat that satisfy USDA criteria for lean.
Beef producers offer many different meat choices to fulfill the changing lifestyles and nutritional requirements of customers. Whilst each offers different things, they all share three common values: style, diet and security.
- Grain-fed Beef – the essential extensively produced and is commonly cheaper. The cattle spend a majority of their resides consuming lawn in a pasture before moving to a feedlot where they have been provided a high-energy, whole grain diet.
- Grass-finished Beef – The cattle tend to be raised on lawn pastures their particular whole life. Creating in large volumes is hard in the united states where couple of areas possess developing period to really make it possible.
- Licensed Organic Beef – The cattle must certanly be provided 100percent natural feed and must be certified through USDA's Agricultural advertising program. Furthermore, these cattle can't be offered hormones to promote growth or antibiotics. If antibiotics are needed they are not withheld nevertheless animal must certanly be permanently taken out of the program.
- Natural/Branded Beef – By meaning, most beef is natural. In accordance with the USDA "natural" works extremely well on a meat label in the event that beef does not include synthetic flavoring, coloring, salt or other synthetic or artificial ingredient. Manufacturers increasing cattle for beef marketed with a "natural" label may follow various manufacturing practices being brand their particular meat.
So long as animals have now been harvested as a meals supply, their particular by-products were just like crucial. Cattle offer us with many products – aside from beef – that are always produce commercial, family, health insurance and foods, some of which you consume or utilize every single day!
Beef byproducts enable 99percent of every meat animal to be utilized!
The health globe hinges on meat by-products for many life saving or life enhancing medications and treatments such as for example:
- Chrymotrypsin – encourages recovery of burns off and wounds.
- Collagen is used in plastic surgery and also to make non-stick bandages.
- Heparin is an anticoagulant used to treat and stop blood clots.
- Pancreatin supports the digestion of food.
- Vitamin B-12 aids in the prevention of B-Complex inadequacies.
Cowhide provides united states with fabric, used to produce: