Muleshoe Ranch Texas
MULESHOE RANCHES. A few Texas ranches have subscribed and utilized a muleshoe brand in several forms (typically an inverted U form). The first known utilization of this brand in Texas ended up being about 1844, when Mrs. B. C. Oliver apparently designed a crude muleshoe brand on her behalf family members' cattle in Red River County. By 1861 the Olivers had relocated to Nueces County, for this ended up being truth be told there the brand ended up being subscribed on July 9 of this year. Near Corpus Christi the Olivers setup their particular Mota Ralla Ranch, which by 1884 covered a lot more than 15, 000 miles and went 200 mind of cattle, 100 horses, and 20, 000 sheep, all-bearing their particular muleshoe brand. On October 6, 1892, ownership of the ranch ended up being used in E. R. Oliver, Sr., which in turn passed it on to their son, E. R., Jr., on June 20, 1900. Oliver descendants continued to utilize the brand in subsequent years.
An identical brand name had been started in 1856 (though not in fact signed up until 1860) by Henry Black in Fannin County. He subsequently moved west to Stephens County, in which he bought land and established the Muleshoe Ranch; he utilized the brand name for the following fifty years.
A muleshoe make of an alternate design was introduced in 1860 by W. W. Cochran, the initial white settler in Palo Pinto County to be in western associated with Brazos River. Later his son, W. C. Cochran, transferred it to Ector County.
A brand of comparable design ended up being begun in December 1891 by John T. Holland, which went it in Runnels County for some many years after which moved it to Armstrong County, where he settled close to the city of Wayside in 1898. In 1908, after going to Canyon in Randall County, Holland offered the brand to Dan L. Adams, whom carried on to use it on their stock facilities near Happy and Wayside.
In addition, Daniel Waggoner had been believed to used a crude muleshoe brand name for a short time. As he initially established their farm on haven Prairie in smart County, Waggoner had no marketing metal with him. On recognizing a cast-off muleshoe, he heated it and used it to his cattle, using fire tongs to deal with it. From that temporary replacement, Waggoner reportedly developed his famous three-D brand.
A muleshoe brand name that reclines on its side (a page C form) ended up being signed up in Karnes County on February 29, 1884, by J. M. Nichols. It reportedly ended up being selected because it had no crosses and taken off effortlessly. In later years this brand name was continued by his sons, J. W. and A. E. Nichols, on the respective operations in Bee and live-oak counties.
The most popular Muleshoe Ranch, however, was one that offered its title to the city of Muleshoe in Bailey County. Originally the main vast XIT Ranch, the Muleshoe Ranch had been begun in 1903, when Edward K. Warren and his son Charles, owners of the Warren Featherbone Company (a manufacturer of women's corsets in Three Oaks, Michigan), bought the YL Ranch, composed of 40, 000 acres, from J. L. Clark of Tennessee for $100, 000. It became area of the Muleshoe Ranch, that the Warrens added even more former XIT acreage through the brothers W. D. and F. W. Johnson in 1907, thus doubling their particular holdings. Within the next couple of years the Warrens had nearly $500, 000 dedicated to Tx land and cattle. By 1910 subsequent acquisitions and leases had increased their particular empire to 150, 000 acres along Blackwater Draw, addressing portions of Bailey, Lamb, Castro, and Parmer counties. The headquarters because of this operation had been founded western into the future townsite. One building, dating from 1890s, was moved from Bovina on head office and made into a mixture bunkhouse and mess hallway. The foundation associated with the Muleshoe name because of this enterprise is obscure; it had been stated that Charles Warren, while he ended up being pondering a name, came across a classic rusty muleshoe. But, the Warrens when it comes to very first 5 years referred to the farm due to the fact YL; the muleshoe brand ended up being allegedly utilized very first by the Johnson brothers on their Borden County ranch, and after buying land from their store, Warren maybe utilized the muleshoe brand name briefly. However, after obtaining the 200, 000-acre Ojitos Ranch in northern Mexico from Lord Beresford of England in 1910, he started using that operation's U club brand to all the of their herds; Beresford apparently had designed that brand in 1889 as a warning to cow thieves (see CATTLE RUSTLING), meaning "you might be barred." Nevertheless, the resemblance between the U Bar and muleshoe brands had been near enough to perpetuate the second title for Warrens' Texas ranch—and eventually for the brand-new Bailey County seat.